Old map
Download wandeling
View route
Download route
  1. Image

Korte Vijverberg 8

The Mauritshuis still exists and can be visited (an entrance fee applies).

Van Gogh in


  1. 30 Jul. 1869 1869
     - 10 May 1873
  2. 27 Nov. 1881
     - 11 Sep. 1883 1883

The Mauritshuis was built in the 17th century as a city palace for Count Johan Maurits van Nassau-Siegen (1604–1679) and purchased in 1820 by the Dutch state to house the Royal Cabinet of Paintings. Although Vincent never mentioned visiting the Mauritshuis in his letters, he did refer to specific works from its collection (for example, Jacob van Ruisdael’s View of Haarlem with Bleaching Field in the Foreground (1628–1682)), and “the Maurithuis here”. It is therefore likely that he did see the museum and its collection. Indeed, it is almost unthinkable that someone with such a deep interest in art would not have done so.

Useful links

Relevant letters from Vincent

  1. No relevant letters found so far.

Continue reading

  1. Teun Berserik en Feico Hoekstra

    Vincent van Gogh: de vroege jaren (stripboek)
    Amsterdam, 2012
  2. F. Leeman en J. Sillevis

    De Haagse School en de jonge Van Gogh
    Zwolle, 2005
  3. In de voetsporen van Van Gogh

    Wandeling bij De Haagse School en de jonge Van Gogh
    Gemeentemuseum Den Haag, 2005
  4. Michiel van der Mast en Charles Dumas

    Van Gogh en Den Haag
    Zwolle, 1990
  5. Jan Meyers

    De jonge Vincent: jaren van vervoering en vernedering
    Amsterdam, 1989