Download wandeling
Download route
  1. Image
  2. Image

Place Félix-Rey

The building still exists today. The former hospital now houses a cultural centre.

Van Gogh in


  1. 23 Dec. 1881 1888
     - 7 Jan. 1889 1889
  2. 7 Feb. 1889 1889
     - 18 Feb. 1889 1889
  3. 26 Feb. 1886 1889
     - 8 May 1889 1889

On 23 December 1888, after cutting off part of his ear and giving it to a prostitute in a fit of madness, Vincent was admitted to hospital in Arles. He was treated by Dr Félix Rey (1865–1932).Vincent’s mental state worsened during his first days in hospital, and, according to Rey’s report he chased the duty nurse in his nightshirt, forbade anyone from coming near his bed and washed himself in the coal bucket. As a result, he was placed in isolation.

The doctor wanted Vincent transferred to an asylum in Marseille or Aix-en-Provence where he could receive better care: the hospital in Arles was mainly treating his ear and was less able to address his mental problems. In early January, however, Vincent unexpectedly took a marked turn for the better, and, on 4 January, he was allowed to go home for a few hours for the first time. He was discharged from hospital on 7 January. Two days later, Vincent wrote to his brother Theo:

“My suffering in that way in the hospital was appalling, and yet in the midst of it all, though I was more than insensible, I can tell you as a curiosity that I kept thinking about Degas.” Read the complete letter

As soon as he felt better, Vincent resumed painting, producing works including a portrait of Dr Rey, which he gave the doctor as a keepsake. Within one month, however, he had another attack: he was convinced he had been poisoned. He was readmitted to hospital on 7 February and again placed in isolation. Vincent wrote:

“Having nothing else to distract me – I’m even forbidden to smoke – which, however, the other patients are allowed to do. Having nothing else to do I think about all those I know all day and night long.” [[brief nr=750) Read the complete letter

Vincent was allowed to go home on 17 February but he did not stay there long. A week and a half later, he was taken back to hospital on the order of the chief of police. His neighbours on Place Lamartine considered Vincent a danger and had drawn up a petition in an effort to get rid of him. He was accused of offences including indecent behaviour; it was alleged that he had chased women into their houses. Once again, he was placed in isolation.

Vincent remained in hospital until early May. He experienced long periods of lucidity and was therefore given permission to paint outdoors, which he took full advantage of. During his stay in hospital, he painted many landscapes, along with works like Ward in the Hospital and The Courtyard of the Hospital. He was sometimes permitted to go into town, for instance when his friend Paul Signac came to visit.

His illness had made Vincent anxious and insecure. He became convinced that it would be better for him and for others if he continued to live apart from society for a while. Thus, on 8 May 1889, he had himself committed to the Saint-Paul de Mausole asylum in Saint-Rémy de Provence.

Made here

Ward in the hospital, 1889

Ward in the hospital, 1889

Oil on canvas, 73 x 92 cm

Oskar Reinhart Collection, Winterhurt

    Relevant letters from Vincent

    Continue reading

    1. Marije Vellekoop, Roelie Zwikker

      Vincent van Gogh, tekeningen, deel 4: Arles, Saint-Rémy, Auvers-sur-Oise
      Amsterdam, 2007